Sunday, January 8, 2006

Ariel Sharon, Ehud Olmert, and the next PM of Israel

If for some reason Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon is unable to resume his duties after his stroke, I have every confidence that Ehud Olmert will do a fine job in his stead. I heard him speak at a luncheon at the American Enterprise Institute (AEI) in Washington, D.C., a few years ago and although he is a bit arrogant, he's smart, clever, crafty and energetic enough to be able to navigate the turbulent waters of Israeli and Middle East (and U.S.) politics.

He may not beat Netanyahu (who I've also heard speak at AEI a few years ago) in the upcoming election, but he'll certainly give hime a run for his money.

I'd lean in favor of Sharon/Olmert and their centrist Kadima party than Netanyahu's right-wing Likud party, but I have no ideal how the Israeli people themselves are leaning these days. I'm not sure they do either.

-- Jack Krupansky

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home